|Description||Metal "M" from McCrory's building sign. Was painted red, but paint has faded and cracked with age leaving only a faint red pigment around the edges. The letter now has a green appearance. Brackets on reverse that attached the letter to the side of the building.|
From McCrory's building on Orange Avenue which was torn down in December, 2003.
The building was dedicated in April of 1942, although parts of the building dated back to 1888. It was the second McCrory building to be located at 101 South Orange Avenue. From 1942-1989, the building operated as McCrory's Department Store as well as the McCrory's Florida and Georgia District headquarters. In the mid-1990s, the building was occupied by Q-Zar Lasertag. It was subsequently vacant for several years while plans to renovate the entire block were finalized.
This building was located on the same block as the Woolworth Store, which was demolished in January of 2004. As of 11/01/2012, the block is now home to the "Plaza" complex.
|Dimensions||H-12.25 W-13.75 D-0.75 inches|
|Condition Notes||Paint is very faded, worn, and has heavy crazing. Letters were dirty, but have been vacuumed.|
Business & Commerce
McCrory's Stores Corporation